Sunday, March 18, 2012

Route 66 Diner - Stevens Point WI



Julie's Route 66 Diner  on Urbanspoon
Date of Visit: 03-11-2012
Time of Visit: 9:00 AM

 Pebble Score:    



It's Sunday morning and you roll out of bed with an intense itch between your legs and you know it's got to be either the crab you got last night, or a yearning to find the best pancakes around! Fortunately for me it was the yearning. Because, frankly, crabs at this point in my life, when I am weak and frail from consuming copious amounts of butter, liquor and artificial ingredients, would mean that the only benign method of treatment I could possibly subscribe to without endangering some other part of my anatomy, would be to dump sand in my trousers and let the little crab bastards stone each other to death.


Back to pancakes. I ran into a local establishment by the name of Julie's Route 66 Diner to check out their breakfast. The atmosphere was a typical diner style with random scatterings of cliches on the walls and a few boisterous locals trying to one up each other with their childhood stories and politics. I sat myself at the furthest booth from the sight of the servers and lo and behold, I was greeted with a warm smile even before my ass stopped making those annoying fart noises on the seat. 


The menu offered general diner fare with nothing that stood out as special. So I went with the chopped steak (medium), eggs over easy, hash browns, wheat toast, and yes, a side of pancakes. The coffee was hot and I never got below a half cup before the server was right there  with the pot to fill it up. Give it up for good service! The wait for my food was short and I eagerly dove right into my semi-dry overly cooked and short on flavor steak. Hopes dashed. I slathered a little butter on my pancakes to allow a little dairy goodness to soak in. The eggs were done correctly and the potatoes were warm and not drowning in diner death but they lacked flavor and were a little on the dry side. More coffee! Crap that stuff is HOT! Not used to having a continuous cup! 


I droned on with my lackluster meal and finally dove into what was, at this point, low expectations of pancakes. I was not surprised. With all semblance of a good meal apparently left in the kitchen, I noted that the butter and the little jelly containers on the all-you-can-eat jam session going on in that little jelly basket, were all brands of which I had never even heard or imagined. Something like "Bob's Warehouse Jelly" or some other non-distinct brand.  Then it occurred to me . . . there is a reason why most of the food was mediocre at best . . . low quality ingredients and a successful effort to save a penny on flavor. Filling, yes. Flavorful, no. Inexpensive, it certainly better be, but I have had better breakfasts for less money.


I have to admit, the service at this diner was by far the best I have encountered in a very long time but that alone certainly does not entice me to come back. Somehow, however, my disguise as a Wookie must have caught the attention of the owner who came over and asked if this was my first time in (was it that obvious?). She was very friendly and enthusiastic and thanked me for coming in. She also invited me back to the best fish fry in town (I had heard that one before!), but I think I will stick to my Gorton's, thank you!  Or perhaps, I'll give it another shot.


Won't you get hip to this timely tip: If you like exceptional service and a filling meal, Julie's Route 66 Diner is for you. If you want quality food and flavor with that, perhaps you should get your kicks somewhere else. 



No comments:

Post a Comment